Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Civic responsibility

I've never been one to really think about posting my thoughts for all to see, but with the direction technology is going and the popularity of blogging these days, I thought, 'What the heck!'

Someone asked me the other day if I blogged. I said no. I occasionally scribble down some thoughts, but they are not for public consumption. However, there are some things that just strike me as odd, and I hope I am not the only one.

Case in point ... Today I was filling out a jury questionaire. I have lived in this town for four years and this is the second time I have been summoned for jury duty. I know people who have lived here considerably longer who have never had the pleasure. But that is beside the point. The first couple of questions they ask concern my sex and race. It strikes me as odd that in a climate in which everyone pretends to be concerned about equality the first thing the court wants to know is that I am a white male. They obviously are not overly concerned about important things like my name because that question is a little farther down the page, but "By-St.-Peter's-crew-cut," they want to know that I am a white male.

Of course, like most people I was trying to find a way out, so I closely read the qualifications for serving on a jury. General qualification No. 5 states that the prospective juror must "be able to read and write." What would they say if I circled this reason then signed my name at the bottom of the form and returned it to them?

Oh well. I guess I'm doomed to serve. I'll probably be selected and the trial dates will disrupt my preplanned vacation, but "Hey!" it's my civic duty, so I'll show up with a smile, answer all the questions, collect my $7 and go home happy.

5 comments:

spookyrach said...

Don't get too excited. Its only $6.00.

But you will be pleased to know the legislature passed a law that will up the amount to $40 in September.

Glad you are "baring all" for public consumption.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I ask that you please do not *bare all*. And why would you want to leave this town to vacation elsewhere??

Unknown said...

Well jonBoy you still owe me for your hotel room anyway putz. As with Rachel, you now get $40 a day for serving. I also agree with the dont bare all statement, nobody wants to see that.

Captainwow said...

Well, now we know you can write...

reverendmother said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm a big fan of SpookyRach. I'm also a Texan living in exile so I always love news from the crazy homeland.