Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Que Sera

So … I haven’t written anything in a while.

Well, that’s not exactly true. I’ve been writing a lot lately, just nothing to be posted here. I am currently writing the text for a history/coffee table book to coincide with our university’s centennial celebration that begins Aug. 31. The book won’t be done by then, but if we can get it out in October I will be extremely happy.

I haven’t had a whole lot to write about lately but there has been some interesting activities. My daughter’s softball season wrapped up recently. If you recall, my bro-in-law and I ended up pretty much running the board that directed the league. Things ran fairly smoothly. We had a little dust-up toward the end that could have blown way out of proportion, but we settled it among the board without too much collateral damage. All it took was a strongly worded email to board members, one of whom was the cause of the contention, in which I forcefully stated that nit-picking the rules will not be tolerated, especially by board members. I may have accused someone of being “thick-skulled” and not understanding the point of what we were trying to accomplish … and I may have used some “colorful adjectives” in one or two places … no more than two. I think there are generally far better and more sadistic ways to state things than by drawing from the FCC’s list of improper terms. However, some people never get it and one must resort to the basest level of interpersonal communication to finally relay the message. I think I made my point because the subject was dropped and I haven’t heard from the complaining party since.

We had been expecting to have trouble from this person all season long and treated him with kid gloves and tried to bring him along nicely. He did pretty good for the most part, but just couldn't keep from reverting to his self-destructive pattern of behavior that has subsequently resulted in banishment from nearly every youth sports league in the county. I think we were the last, and there’s a good chance he won’t be associated with us next year.

After many failed attempts at explaining things in a civilized manner, I think I finally spelled it out in language he could understand. The phrase “immature bickering” might have been a little hard to grasp, but I'm pretty sure he got the point behind “seriously pissed-off redhead.”

Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

1 comment:

little david said...

Oooo, someone got ticked off! Wonder if you will be coaching girl's softball again next year.

We just returned from our fifth trip to Kenya. It was full of new experiences about which I am beginning to blog, if you are interested.